Roald Amundsen’s house, Uranienborg, is now a museum. The Norwegian explorer lived there from 1908 to his disappearance in the Arctic region in 1928. The elegant building is surrounded by a wide garden on a gentle sloping ground. It is a relatively large building, widely built-in wood with large windows and quite modern technical solutions for the age of its use. It includes several rooms, all featuring distinctively
different styles and colors, but with a certain degree of simplicity and sobriety.
The spaces are a vestibule, a hall, a wide room (the so-called “blue room”), a living room, a dining room, a kitchen (associated with a
pantry), a toilet separated from a bathroom and a dressing room, a study, a small bedroom, the so-called “boxroom” (including an archive of documents) and the so-called children’s room. The house underwent minor changes from the time when Amundsen last left, but it remains substantially the same and features a large number of original objects and memorabilia which allow today’s visitor to really grasp – in a peculiar case of ‘genius loci’ – the feeling and mood of a place that Amundsen shared with his closest relationships.
The house is managed by the MIA Follow Museum and can be virtually visited through a specific website: https://amundsen.mia.no/en/
Follo museum – Roald Amundsen’s House Uranienborg
Roald Amundsens vei 192, 1420 Svartskog